Saturday, March 12, 2011

Pay It Forward with Character Counts

Well, it's done! It's completed.  Character Counts Day 2011 is officially complete and what a success it was! :) I was excited to be a part of the committee even if at times it seems like a little bit more stress than than it should've been.

How many of you have seen the movie, "Pay It Forward" - it's quite famous and tells a tragic but beautiful story about how the gift of kindness carried throughout people can make a large difference in our world.  It starts with a teacher - that tells his students that they need to think of an idea that will change our world and put it into action.

A scene from the movie that I recreated for the commons wall.
  
He tells the students that it is their year long assignment.  He's a newer teacher, odd, with secrets under his skin. There is one character in particular that comes up with "Pay It Forward".  The simplicity behind it is so outrageous that his students tell him his stupid..and the simplicity is this: Pick three people that need three big favors - any people, any favor and help them.  And rather than asking for something in return simply ask them to do the same - ask them to find three people that need help and have them Pay It Forward to these people who would then do the same, etc etc. And eventually, everyone will have helped someone get where they need to be if we all just agreed to Pay It Forward.

I'm not going to ruin the ending because it is one of my FAVORITE movies and if I ruined the ending for you, I'd be disappointed in myself.  Well, next step...we connected it to Character Counts - the students in my school get to watch the film (there were plenty of tears) and the whole day is centered around Character Counts and Pay It Forward. Hense the common's wall design.
Our common's wall. The cash register was not my idea but it simplifies the idea for some of the younger students. The books represent the pillars as well as the dictionary that is utilized throughout the movie.         

The day started off with two sets of speakers and I want to say a BIG THANK YOU to two of my friends from UNI that agreed to come in and speak to some of the students (which from what I hear, the students loved!!).  The speakers talked all about Character Counts in what they do and what they've done.  Some speakers were low key and others got extremely involved.  After this, they had a chance to meet Miss Iowa and Buffy Coleman (Harlem Magic). Then it was lunch, followed by a buffet of food and live music (talented Middle School band that played stuff like Greenday and Blink 182).  After this, we finished the movie, watched some martial arts and tumbling students who talked about CC....then off to the elementaries to play with the younger kids and talk about Character Counts. They also did a craft. 

All and all it was a good day! Successful too! Even if I did get a migraine at about 2pm. :)

Here are two pictures from the YAM art show in Des Moines that I stopped by last week.  It was exciting to see my students' artwork hanging for all of the area to see. And it was busy too!

And for kicks, here are the two pups who kept me company during this post...snuggled together in one tiny kennel because they love each other. I found them this way too - what dorks.


No comments:

Post a Comment