Friday, March 4, 2011

Now Progressing: Form, Value, Technique

I am in shock! This has been a  great week. Besides the fact that Andy Warhol has been keeping me company! (Did anyone make one? I want to hear about it!) My new 7th and 8th grade classes are not only energetic but completely well behaved. I just knocked on wood for any of you that laughed said "that'll change!"  But in all reality, my first 7th grade class of the day is angelic - partly because they're mostly asleep and partly because I've noticed that in general, 7th grade is a little more timid about acting out.  My first 8th grade class is energetic but totally thrilled about life and they are *talented* beyond what I anticipated.  Or maybe they're more willing to do their own work...maybe that's it - probably. My second 8th grade follows suit and while I was warned that I was in for a treat - getting hands on projects in front of some of the most troublesome students has proven positive and as I type, I remember how today - those students who I most often see messing around or in the detention room were the *quietest* students out of the whole bunch. What the...wait a minute, why do I care what's going on? It's not a full moon (or is it?) and I love that they are being this way..even if it only lasts a week. Did I mention 85% of them did their homework on time? Amazing. Simply in shock.

Is it the fact that after two previous trimesters, I have some tricks up my sleeve and have naturally adapted some of the lessons to the students? I'm sure that has a play into how things are going and I'm proud of myself if that is in any way what's going on. I know I have grown a *ton* since the beginning of the year not only as an individual but as an educator and I know there is tons more to learn. 

My 7th graders played with pastels today; we took it easy as it is Friday and they are all too eager for a couple days away. Their  skills regarding value scales and comprehending form from day one of class to day three have GREATLY improved and I am pleased to say this - it only means great results for their project involving more pastels, form, value, and pattern.

My 8th graders are blending *machines* and you might ask, "why blending?" Well simply because the first trimester I went to have them do a project and many of them didn't even realize that you could blend paint, that it wasn't all lines - that you could transition through a painting with hundreds of tones, tints, colors without a single one having a border around it. So given that their first project involves blending for the background, I figured why not spend a little more time with that...and so we did. And the results? Enjoyable.

A student's 1st attempt at blending after a demonstration.
A student working in a monochromatic family.

A student using warm colors, concentrating on the degree of oranges she can create.

This student wanted to blend and create an illusion of layer.

And I have a great example of the project 6th grade is working on to show you, finally! This student is only 3 of the 8 steps through while most are about to start their 5th step but it was the first one on the pile so we'll go with it.  It'll also allow me to show you his progress from about now to finish.  You can see kind've where the project gets set up and where we are headed. Note to self: I told my students to make their own design but I think next year I will concentrate the design more with shape and overlapping shapes - much like this one shows.  It simplifies the task and lets the student(s) work more with the technique rather than worry about the minute details. The shading and attention to color catches your eye! And all the kids keep coming up to me and telling me how much more they pay attention to their drawings because of this project. Exactly what I wanted to hear - and so glad to hear they are applying what they learn into parts of their life.  I can't wait to see them a couple years from now and all the talent they'll share.


Left to right: Crayon, Chalk Pastel, Watercolor Pencil
To be added: Crayon, Tempera Paint, Permanent Marker, Charcoal, and Oil Pastels
It is also fun to hear the students talk about which materials they enjoy more. Some students take after their art teacher who has trouble with a mess on her hands while she works and others just love the mess and love getting the mess all over.  I am truly, genuinely, legitimately, etc, etc excited to see where this project leads not only this year but in years to come. 


And finally, I think I know what I will change next year for 5th grade weaving. Making the looms more narrow is the first step and I want to aim towards some sort of "Warm up your reading with Woven Bookmarks" theme - have them design and create their own bookmark or two that they can use during reading class. I love tying lessons back into other areas and purposes so this would be perfect. They just love weaving, boys, girls, all of them - doesn't matter what it ends up looking like, they just love it and I really want to expand on it as much as I can because of that. It is a required unit - and it was the one unit I was told must stay out of all grades and units...so I'm working with it.  This year they will get to decorate it by weaving whatever they want into it or gluing things on...its kind've like a free for all so I can get a handle on what works, etc.  That and perhaps it will lead me to new ideas.  But I really like this bookmark idea and I've seen similar lessons so I'm trying to build. If anyone has ideas, shoot me a note.

Well that's all for now. Quite the series of updates - and expect more after Character Counts finishes...the commons wall is decorated and I'll get a picture soon; just a few finishing touches left. Did I mention we have less than 3 months before summer? Time sure does fly. 



2 comments:

  1. I have a nifty pattern for woven iPod or cell phone cases that the kids really get into creating. Give me a holler if you want me to send you some info!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That would be great!! Last year they just made woven wall hangings and I was told I had to keep the unit. I'm slowly tweaking it to make it more purposeful and quite frankly, shorter....so that sounds perfect. Send away! :)

    ReplyDelete