"Now I've done things I regret, and it's time to reverse the rules. I will be heard." - Hatebreed
Just a quote to ponder a second or too. I've lived - not long, but I've lived double the life of many of my students and things have happened that I can't forget but I can turn around and do what I can to make it known what it is I am about and who I am...and that's a changed person with a BIG heart and a passion for education. This is where I'd insert the little box like in magazine articles to let you know that was the end of that rant.
Moving on.
10 of my wonderful students (pending signed parent permission forms of course) are having their work matted and sent off to Des Moines for judging in the Youth Art Month sponsored by Art Educators of Iowa. Am I excited? Umm, yes. It's nerve-wrecking to think about whether any of WCMS will get their work chosen but I am hopeful and confident. I've got myself a handful or seven of very talented individuals who underestimate/question their creativity and I need to do what I can to push them out of that mindset.
I love Pandora radio. Just saying.
Book suggestion anyone? Please go out, get on Amazon.com (you know I love me some Amazon), or get an Ebook of Why Are All the Good Teachers Crazy? by Frank Stepnowski. Caution: not for the faint of heart or anyone who has trouble with harsh reality, vulgarity, profanity, and the unimaginable regarding education. But what "Step" does is lay it out, in all honest terms, regarding his 20+ years of teaching in inner city, special education, schools. It all comes down to his love for teaching and that is just what he does: he loves teaching and loves his students and will break all rules to make a difference in their lives. I have only just begun the journey into his book but if you trust me, try it out.
And I leave you with a snipit or two:
"For the teachers that care: you underpaid, under appreciated, over achieving, hyper dedicated, slightly insane basrtards, I salute each and everyone of you."
"Any good teacher knows that sometimes the children in our classrooms take up an inordinate amount of our tie, sometimes at the expense of time spent with the children we raise and/or coach. Our loved ones are often the ones left alone while we agonize over "why those little bastards can't remember how to X after we went over it Y times in class!" If you're nodding your head right now, maybe getting a bit misty-eyed, I have good news for you -- you are a good teacher..."
No comments:
Post a Comment