Sunday, January 23, 2011

$15,000 is a motivational tool.

Well, update is needed I suppose. I told you readers (probably a lack there of readers) that I was going to try harder.  I've been slacking on reading my eBook that I talked about last time - it's still good but I've been seemingly more busy with YAM, Character Counts, AEI, Google, and then of course my personal life chiming in with budgeting, dog sitting, drama. The usual day to day.

Starting with YAM Show.  10 of my students will be entering work into the YAM show that is sponsored by Art Educators of Iowa.  I concentrated on entering 8th graders in as the majority because of course, they are leaving the middle school this year and if one or two could get recognized, that's always a positive thing before your leap to pre-adulthood. It's a slight headache mounting all of the work, getting parental permission, and making students understand that results take time and since we don't judge the entries until the 29th of January, it will be a few more days.  I'm excited, needless to say.

Moving on to Character Counts. I got brought up to said meeting during one of my prep periods for some artistic input and now I find myself on the committee for Character Counts Day 2011 - which reminds me I need to figure out how long the edited version of Pay It Forward is before work tomorrow.  Anyways - I gathered my creative skills and realize if we're watching Pay It Forward, why not have the theme be Pay It Forward with Character Counts. Done and done - now to confirm speakers and do some sweet bulletin board making skills before March 11th.  I'm glad to be involved - AND be invited to be involved. :)

Now to AEI. We have our meeting Saturday. Woo! I get to see some long lost faces. After a fiasco of sorts with email and billing regarding the sample shirts for AEI - the check will finally be sent out Monday, I will have forms ready to present Saturday and we should be well on our way to spreading the good word that is Art Educators of Iowa with awesome clothing line purchases that I think, show professionalism and pride. :) Have I mentioned that I *love* being a part of this group?

And then there is Doodle 4 Google a competition that the nation of K-12 students can enter into for college money, school funding, trips to New York. Well ... I mentioned it to my students and it went from a suggestion of entering to students obsessing over ideas to enter in.  And out of my 7th and 8th graders alone, there are multiple great ideas. My 5th and 6th graders are hard at brainstorming too. The task is to redesign the Google logo using the theme "What I'd like to do someday..." National winner gets $15,000 to college, $25,000 to their school, a trip to New York, a digital tablet, a tshirt, their design on Google.com, as well as that they get to meet a few very influential and famous people.  1st step - finding out if you're truly interested by brainstorming ideas and sketches after talking to parents about the rules. 2nd step - come to Ms. J with ideas and we will begin filling out forms and permission slips. 3rd step - entry into the contest and await to hear the results. Who knows - nothing could come of this but then again, something very large could and it never hurts to try - never.

On the personal side of life: we dog sat Duke this weekend, love that little one. I cuddle with Roxxy a lot on my free time. Drama is drama. And budgeting can be less stressful when the government lowers the Social Security rate and you get extra money. :) Plus, my dive into the ditch last week (long story) is being cost covered by insurance so there's a perk. Oh bills - how I loath just thinking about you.

On an educational note, my 6th graders are starting a project that I'm very excited about. One drawing, eight sections and over all one project with eight different materials. We're exploring ways to use simple materials in creative ways so they can realize the world of possibilities that come through creating.  I'm excited for the results and the kids are getting really into it so it's nice to see that taking a chance on something I've never done before and came up with in a dream worked out! :)

My 7th and 8th graders are a breath of fresh air every day so it's helpful to get through the day. :) I've been told multiple times from multiple students and I know it's just words but hearing, "You're my favorite teacher.", "You just seem to get us as students and we like that.", "You act like a kid full of excitement while you teach so it helps us like your class."...and I still have students from last semester trying to visit me during their other classes. My 5th graders are beginning weaving and because it is such a step by step process for the kids that have never done it, it can be a bit chaotic. But we're through the first step of warping the loom. So that will help get through the next few trials of starting the wefting thread.  Regardless, they're having fun. :)

Also, I spent my first wintering roads covered with ice night at my mentor's house and talking with him and his wife was great. I missed my pup and Matt but I got a little extra sleep, felt safe from driving, and got to know his family better - his brother is a professional photographer - AWESOME to know. :)

And my cold is finally going away. Knock on wood. This was longer than expected. And I'm sure I left things out. I start Zumba tomorrow at a local fitness center that is free but donations welcome with Brenda. We're branching out. We're pretty pumped about it too. :)

6 comments:

  1. Hey girl! I see you started doing a blogsite too! Wonderful! Let's communicate. Follow mine and I"ll follow yours!:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am following you my dear! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do a lot of these but I can't wait to check out a few more that I don't know about. Thanks for sharing! I'm adding you to my blog roll...

    MiniMatisse.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. :) We are still working the kinks out in the concept but soon - soon - soon!

    ReplyDelete