Tuesday, October 12, 2010

You learn, you always learn.

So here goes attempt 4. I learned and was given reassurance that if I fire my projects at a very low cone setting, the clay will still harden into ceramic but it will not vitrify (?) fully. This is important when glazing later or for pieces intended to eat or drink out of (is what I'm told anyway). That said, I've come to the conclusion I will be starting with decorations using paint instead of glaze, at least until I get this clay thing down.

So I fired up my kiln today. Cone 06, even though that isn't the recommended cone for stoneware but since it will suffice to harden the clay, I'll try it. I need to learn. And I am. Soooo much, thanks to the HS ceramics teacher. I ordered my new clay and the high school will still buy the stoneware. Everyone cross your fingers, please.

Addition:
Resources, resources. I have to say I would seriously be crying in the corner after everything if it weren't for my mentors, my friend that works for Continental Clay, and the high school art teacher. I have learned beyond what the ceramics class in college taught me and for that I am thankful; perhaps too late...but thankful none the less. I have been urged by many people to switch to Low Fire clay...and I have.

Regardless, I am still crossing my fingers for my return to school tomorrow.

1 comment:

  1. Look on the bright side...you're getting all of your ceramics challenges checked off the list in a week or two! Some of us have been working at those for years! You're doin' great kiddo!

    ReplyDelete