Well, Ceramics is coming to a close - and you know what that means! Not only does it mean pictures but it also means that there is only one unit before the entire school year comes to a close. It is undeniably bittersweet. But let's not get ahead of ourselves; first I'll touch your hearts with a more academically pleasing aspect of teaching; an article! I occasionally write articles for my mentor to print into the AEI Message, to fill up space and also to reflect on my own teaching. Typically it's nothing to get too exciting about but this last one was kind of fun to write; an article about
Creating Visual Aids in the Classroom. My last post discussed the new bulletin boards I was making and what I anticipated doing - this article talks not only of that but what any teacher (not just art) can do to pump up their classroom and create a learning environment versus a classroom. Writing it got me thinking - I would much rather have my students refer to my room as a fun an environment then a classroom (so boring!)...because that's what it is - an environment full of creativity, learning, problem solving, and enjoyment. Anyways, click the
link to get to the article. I can begin posting more of those here if there is interest.
Okay, so before we get to the finale of the post; let's revisit those 6th grade
Multi-Material Projects that I absolutely loved teaching. Review; students drew a design (abstract) in pencil that covered an entire 12x18 page of paper. Students then folded that paper into eight equal parts (4x2). Each square was given a material that students practiced with and no, not just in the way they know how but I would review fun and creative ways to use plain materials (many of which the students have at home). These materials included Crayon, Colored Pencil, Chalk Pastel, Watercolor Pencils, Tempera Paint, Black Charcoal, Permanent Markers, and Oil Pastels. Oil Pastels, hands down, were the general favorite. But by the end of the project, students were blending, mixing, layering, texturing, directioning, designing, valueing (I'm making up words...) without any reminders from me. And even better, this next unit I have students incorporating these techniques simply because they know how and their work is that much more impressive! Here are just six stand out examples from the 140 students that I have (I have about 60 good examples but well, time and space would drag on forever.) for you to view.
| |
| Student's ability to transfer colors and themes throughout squares is wonderful. |
|
 |
| The blending and value in this one is fantastic, not to mention the harmony. |
|
 |
| The rainbow theme is carried throughout; And that chalk pastel (top 2nd square) is vibrant in person. |
 |
| Loving the movement in this one. |
 |
| You saw the progress in this one a few posts ago, definitely a student that is going beyond regular expectations. |
 |
| This reminds me of outer space, no idea why - but again, the blending and patterns are fantastic. |
Just magnificent, simply fantastic to see that project not only succeed but pass all expectations. 6th graders are now working on their family crest/Heraldry shields and pictures will be on their way once they get going.
And, the moment of truth..or something. I begin to sound more crazy as I spend more time in my art room, huh? Anyways,
finished clay projects! I am simply impressed beyond reason with this trimester's work in Ceramics. These are just a few of the projects that stood out (they are also the projects that are complete and can be snapped for pictures). Some of the detail work is breathtaking and others have impressive [perfection] resemblance to the work's inspiration. I just cannot get over it. And I'm, of course, smiling because of that. I wish all of the ceramics (and the ones unfinished but still fantastic) projects this year could stay in my classroom and be used as examples but everyone single one of my students has or plans on taking their work home; and that is so much more of a reward knowing their work means that much to them . Well, here they are. Be proud of these kids cause their skill is undeniable!
 |
| Dunno if your computer resolution will show you but there are some fine, beautiful leave details on this in black. |
 |
| Soccer ball. The student spent 3 days just trying to get the hexagons/pentagons just right. Whoa math! |
 |
| Crayons! :) How much fun is this! The student said she may even leave me the orange one! Chyea! |
 |
| Can you even believe this? 8th Grade!? Winnie the Pooh - and an uncanny resemblance to a real life one, too. |
 |
| Froggies! They are just the sweetest pair of frogs! |
 |
| The dog project turned out great. The brown highlights match the picture of the dog she had brought in, and the cartoon aspect of the design really brings it to life. |
 |
| Rainbow bowls - one student, one collection. Very creative. |
 |
| Teddy Bear. |
 |
| Around the World with Love; the biggest challenge was the brick like texture/painting that the student wanted perfect - the letters were meant to look spray painted to a degree and I think they really play that role well. |
the multi-materials project is EXTREMELY impressive in the resulting art and processes taught to get there! way to go:) would you mind emailing me the full lesson plan??
ReplyDeleteDid I ever get you this? If not I still can? Follow my new blog at artclasswithlmj.wordpress.com...I haven't checked this in ages so let me know?
DeleteI've just found your blog and think you're doing some awesome stuff! Keep it coming.
ReplyDeletePlease follow my new blog at artclasswithlmj.wordpress.com!
Delete