Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Silhouettes, Clay Recap, Radio Updates, Paper Cranes Galor

Radio Iowa - Students Use Origami to Raise Money for Japan

Look ma! I'm famous. (Check the link!) Just kidding, I'm not. I so hate hearing my voice recorded but thankfully that is just a print version of what is on the radio.  I mean, yeah, I'm completely proud that my simple notice of a great idea took complete flight into a school-wide, community enforced idea.  I'm more proud of the students making all the cranes - we just hit about 400 today, day 2. But I would like to point out that I did not create this idea, I simply googled. And while I'm not saying anything negative - I just want to give credit where credit it is due.  The people of Japan will need to thank Students Rebuild, Bezos Family Foundation, and Architecture for Humanity for coming up with this concept - and for the students *across* America that are contributing to this fundraiser.  I've also noticed that there are similar fundraising activities.  And I've also noticed that Students Rebuild is nearly half way to their $200,000 mark in a matter of weeks and since we're sending ours out this weekend, I hope that it makes it into the 100,000 cranes pile. No matter the crane, no matter the pain in making it, they will all be sent.  Some kids have already made 40 a piece!


Anyways, here is a much needed update regarding the Silhouette Display. My students are doing great. We are starting printmaking in 7th grade and stippling in 8th grade - both of which are going smoothly. 6th graders are finishing up their multi-material projects and 5th graders are finishing up their weavings - pictures to come soon.





And finally - clay is being fired. What a process - the projects are GREAT and everything is smooth so far. Knock on wood. :) Less than 40 days of school left, can't believe it is going so quickly! Ready for summer though - this great weather we've been having is not making me any less excited, that's for sure!

And the work-out class with my friend is fantastic! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment