Wow. Where has the time gone?! I have not blogged in over a month!? And I was so good at updating my friends in family when I was in Australia. Must've been the sun and beaches that kept me going. Or maybe it's because I'm extremely filled up with things to do during my time?
Did I mention that I'm in Trimester 2? A couple weeks in, actually and the students have already finished their first project. My 1st trimester ended with a bang - the graphic design unit that I designed and introduced went off without a single hitch! And the students *loved* it. A couple students struggled, but over all - no joke, the kids loved getting their hands on the technology they knew their generation needed to be exposed to. Who was I to take that away? Every single student took their pottery home which was also rewarding - many wanted it before it was time to take it home. And we had little end of the Tri celebrations in each 7th and 8th grade class and I don't think I've honestly seen so many homemade delicious treats!
Now, I have to say I was nervous about Trimester 2. Not only was it starting just days before we went on break (so everything I was going to start with would need to be revisited) but after some of the students I worked with in Trimester 1, I was ready to have my hands full again. People tend to forget that the art, music, tech ed, PE, and other exploratory teachers have the entire school of students throughout the year. This includes the Special Education students, the TAG students, the "normal" students, and the students that come in from other school that don't have these subjects. All and all, I had already had 110 students see me for a Trimester, while another 300 saw me all year. Bring on another 110, I guess. Did I mention I am still learning some of the 300 5th and 6th graders? Blame me? I didn't ask for your opinion then because it is harder than you think.
Back to Trimester 2. It's FANTASTIC! My 7th graders are great and my 8th graders, while they have their teen angst and opinions, they are ready to go and willing to work! I'm sure it helps that the 1st trimester student have said they liked art this year. Both classes just finished and critiqued their first projects (7th: Form and Value, 8th: Silhouettes) which I will have pictures of when they are displayed. The concept of "homework" in art, if you can calling printing off a picture homework, is still troublesome for them but they're getting better. 8th Graders are starting clay now and OH BOY am I prepared after last trimester, haha. Should be interesting still.
Overall - I love my job. I still absolutely love it. I love waking up at 530am and heading on an hour drive to get there. I get frustrated when people lecture me about how I'm crazy but this is just the way life has worked out for me so far. And being with Matt is important so it's not an urgency to move away. I love the town I teach in, every single person I work with, and to me, the drive is just a 2 hour part of my day (total) that I guarantee to have to myself. Not many people can say they have that and no matter what the roads throw at me, I know it's mine to have.
So, overall? 600 kids make me happy. 60 coworkers, teachers and staff alike, make me happy. My drive makes me happy. My life makes me happy - I am just bursting with happiness and I don't care who knows it. I have tired days and I have a cold that seems to be with me for months now - but I am happy and I know I am making a difference in these kids' lives - both in art and in their personalities. I know I've improved since August in my teaching, and I know that students have become just a little older and wiser with my and their other teachers' guidance.
Thanksgiving break was great - short but sweet. Saw both families, Matt and I's. Daisy is growing too fast and Kate and Leo were in town. Roxxy and Cabo are still in a love/hate relationship and both families are doing great. Always asking me about my job and I always glow every second I talk about it. Gary, my mentor, says he is proud of me - and other teachers have told me they are honored to call me a colleague due to some of the extra work and time I've been spending with particular students that show the need or desire for someone's helping hand. I'm proud of myself and most importantly, I'm proud of my students.
A random update about me personally: One of my dearest friends and I have committed to changing our life styles and losing "the weight". It's crazy to believe that 4 years ago, I weighed lbs upon lbs less than I do currently. Between the bouts of depression, the college years, the stress, and changes in my life (I won't name them) - I knew where my weight had packed on from. Finally, I looked in the mirror, mid October, after standing on the scale and said "Enough is enough. This has got to change. You need to do this. Your kids will need you to do this. Your health needs you to this. Your confidence needs you to do this. You need to stop telling yourself you'll do it and do it." She was having the same battle and we held each other's hands, so to speak, and are doing this together. I take a two day a week class at the rec center and have been kicking butt at kick boxing with another friend. And over all, I've lost over 20 lbs since October. I know it sheds quickly the first few months and yes, it's already slowed down but I'm happy, I'm more energetic, I feel better, and I am so proud of myself (and my friends) for finally sticking to it. I look forward to what healthy food or choice I can make next and I know if I keep at it, it will only get better. That was random, but I must say that has been playing into my happiness.
Do I have anything to complain about? Christmas isn't all year round so that's pretty disappointing. And I still haven't learned how to snowboard...but Matt promises. So no, I really don't have anything to complain about. I do know that I thank my friends, my family, my coworkers, my students, my God, and myself for everything I have, all the support and love I receive, and most of all for being a part of my life which makes it even better than ever.
That's my update. It doesn't make up for some of the information lost in the last month but it tells you how I'm doing and I will try to keep up with this more often. Sincerely, and in faith, as some of my students call me - Mama Jorg
No comments:
Post a Comment